Wednesday, March 15, 2006

2005: Saigon, Vietnam to Kapa'a, Hawaii

Where I traveled in 2005
I TRIED TO DRAW THE LINES on a map of the U.S. to show where I traveled this year. It began to look like a three year old was given a crayon and a newly painted white wall. Like past years, I ate well and lived well. I covered over 30,000 miles, slept in twelve states, and did my favorite thing – I visited my family and friends. But this year was unusual: I was in a funk.

2005 was remarkable because of how incredibly sad I felt for a large part of it, for many reasons, only some of which I can explain. However, my year ended on such a stunning high that I had altogether forgotten my sorrow. It’s ironic that my year began in Sai Gon. On April 29th, my parents sold our childhood home in Virginia, exactly thirty years and one day after our escape from Viet Nam.

This year I'd most like to acknowledge, with love and immense gratitude, the Dohenys for giving my parents a comfortable place to sleep in transition, for giving my dad a quiet place to heal, and for giving me a warm home and the solidarity I needed. They have so openly embraced me into their lives and nurturing hearts. I also want to acknowledge the constant generosity of Uncle Mike and Lori, two people who were with me when my travels first began five years ago, and who continue to be with me, always.

It isn’t as much as I would have liked, but to give back (thanks to Amanda), I spent several days on a project for the Exodus Transitional Community, a group in New York City that helps formerly incarcerated people successfully integrate with society.

By autumn, I enjoyed a brief employment at Ross, Dixon, and Bell (Uncle Mike says I’m the only person he knows who negotiates my exit when I accept a job) with the kindest people. I left for a string of highs, from Florida for Thanksgiving, Park City for Shabu-shabu, Santa Monica for family, and Kauai, Hawaii for a whole lot of pineapples.

Being in a funk didn’t stop me from having loads of fun.

7000 ft Below ZeroDOMESTIC FUN. The interstate kind. In January I enjoyed New Orleans for Adam & Amanda’s wedding (the most memorable cheese grits I ever ate), brunched in Las Vegas, crossed the state line on foot at the Hoover Dam, froze at the Grand Canyon, boated on the Potomac, flew to Ohio for Kim & Dave’s wedding and a visit with Uncle & Aunt 4 and Nam-Tan, visited Ki, Emil, and Be in Georgia, bbq’ed Vietnamese American style (add five-spice to your ribs!) in Orlando, explored with friends in New York City, Brooklyn, and Baltimore, jumped at Olympic Park in Park City with L’Ori, hiked the Kalalau Trail, observed the nenes at the Kilauea Lighthouse, fed cute Polynesian rats with Mica on our Princeville waterfall hike, watched surfers on 25 foot waves, and stared wide-eyed at the whales from our back porch in Kapa’a.

Grand Canyon!ART. I attended plenty of exhibits starring some of my favorite artists: Irving Penn’s Platinum Prints, Hiroshige’s East meets West, Mark Rothko at the National Gallery, Andy Goldsworthy Studies, the striking photography of André Kertesz, Andy Warhol at the Corcoran, Toulouse-Lautrec, Russian Art at the Ripley Center, the Jan deBray Collection, Dan’s film at the D.C. Film Shorts, and most special of all, I spent time with my friends James Klein and David Reid after their lecture at the KleinReid & Eva Zeisel exhibit at the Hillwood Museum and Gardens. Oh, I also paid a brief visit to the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History. Do they count as art?

Jump Cherry BlossomsSPECIAL EVENTS. Nissim's 40th Birthday Party, Lobo's 30th Birthday Party, Nesyah's Simchat Bat, Ari's first baseball game, the most radiant year for the cherry blossoms on the Potomac, Thanh & Jay in D.C., tea with Sharon and Lori, dad's reunion with his brother (Minh) after thirty years, and an intimate Chanukah party and with family and friends in Hawaii.


LIVE ENTERTAINMENT.
Bill Maher & Dennis Miller, Who is Sylvia? Or, the Goat by Edward Albee, Ringside in L.A., Tracey Ullman Show, SMASH Comedy Night, Thomas Friedman, Barney Saltzberg with Mica & Ari, National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, Porgy & Bess Opera on the Mall, and Sashamon & Kirk’s band at the Shack.

IMG_1036SPECIAL GOODBYES to my family lost. To my cousin Amy, who lived her 25 years with joy; to my cousin Cuong, who in his 49 years is remembered for his sweetness of heart; and to Ba Noi, who lived a very full 97 years.

WHEREABOUTS. I always try to make this letter shorter, but does that mean I have to do less next year? Nah…come to Italy so we can do more, where I’m living in a 400-year-old house in a medieval hilltown through May. Where to in June? Your guess is as good as mine.

CHEERS. To adored old friends and admired new friends; to peace, happiness, and your health. May you travel thirty thousand miles, may you have the prosperity to give ten for every one you receive, and may you fill your life with big-hearted people. Am I glad I know you. Life is rich, life is grand.

Saluti & Buon Anno!

"Life doesn't suck." - J.K. Homer
My jump pictures
What I'm doing now.
Fake Funk Jump Project: http://www.fakefunk.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home